Prerequisite: Experienced beginner. Quilter’s Lumberyard® Intro & Quilt Gallery and Construction Zone Workshop recommended but not required.
The Quilter’s Lumberyard ® debuted Secret Eights in the fall of 2018. Created by Cheryl from an adaptation of a Mary Ellen Hopkins technique, it was so much fun that we are offering “More Secrets” as a way to dig deeper into the crazy possibilities created with 2 x 8s and interesting fabrics. Both Secret Eights and More Secrets are perfect projects for the quilter who enjoys a complicated looking quilt yet simple and quick to construct.
More Secrets class samples are made with ombré fabrics -- those with colors that are shaded or graduated in tone from one selvage to another or sometimes from the selvages to the center. You are not required to choose ombré fabrics for this project, as many other fabrics also create interesting and exciting design options in this pattern (i.e. stripes, polka dots, bright and bold prints). However, if you are tantalized by the many readily available ombré fabrics, but don’t know what to do with them, this may be a good option for you. Using 2 x 8s, 1 x 8s and simple block construction, you will:
• determine the number of blocks needed for the size of your project.
• consider fabric options for the look you want to achieve in this project.
• construct blocks, using demonstrated techniques.
• decide on a layout and sew the blocks together.
• complete the quilt with the addition of borders, backing, quilting, and binding.
• discuss additional More Secrets fabric and layout options.